The district municipality of Maple Ridge, BC was incorporated in 1874 and had a population of 76,052 in 2011 and 68,949 in 2006. Located 40 km east of Vancouver, the district is bounded by the Fraser River to the south and Golden Ears Mountain to the north. The district’s northern region is mountainous and rugged, while the western portion is flat and open.
Initially, Maple Ridge incorporated four communities, including Whonnock, Port Haney (later called Haney), Port Hammond, and Pitt Meadows, in addition to the area now known as Maple Ridge. Pitt Meadows separated from Maple Ridge in 1896 and became its own district municipality in 1914. The area’s name was given by pioneer John McIver, who recognized its maple trees.
Maple Ridge now has seven communities, with the largest being Haney, named after another early pioneer. Haney House, constructed in 1878, has been restored and is open to the public. Other communities include Hammond, Albion, Webster’s Corners, Yennadon, and Ruskin, the latter named after the famous 19th-century art and social critic John Ruskin.
Request a Quote: